legend
legend

Male Number of posts : 2010
Club/s : Liverpool
Player/s : Zidane, Gerrard, Reina, Torres, Del Piero
Registration date : 2007-07-29

PostSubject: Re: NEWS   Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:55 am

Maradona: Pele Is Enemy Number One

Arguably the greatest footballer of all time, Diego Maradona, has apologised for the “Hand of God” goal he scored against England in 1986. He also had some words for David Beckham and Ashley Cole, and branded Pele as “the enemy of all time.”

‘Hand of God’ & England Apology

Maradona’s most (in)famous game during his glittering and eventful career came in the quarter-finals of the 1986 World Cup for Argentina against England.

The then Napoli star notoriously put his side in the lead by flicking the ball past Peter Shilton with his hand. He then added a simply stunning second by taking on half of the England team in what has been described as the best goal of all time.

Since the game Maradona has always refused to apologise for the handball, labelling it as the hand of God. More than two decades later the 47-year-old has finally said sorry.

“An English supporter came up to me this weekend, asked me for an autograph, and said, ‘You are a legend’.

“This made me very happy. Your people are so polite and kind despite the history between our countries,” Maradona told ‘The Sun’.

“If I could apologise and go back and change history I would do. But the goal is still a goal, Argentina became world champions and I was the best player in the world.

“I cannot change history. All I can do now is move on.”

Drugs & Pele

Maradona also spoke about his notorious struggles with Cocaine in the past, an addiction that nearly cost him his life in 2004 when he had a massive heart-attack and fell into a coma.

“I lost a lot of my footballing talent to drugs," he admits. "If I had never touched cocaine I would have been three times as good a player.”

Maradona has had a long and bitter feud with Brazilian hero Pele. Diego has long accused Pele of being part of the ‘devil’ family of FIFA.

The feud hit new heights in 2000 when FIFA conducted an internet fan poll to elect the ‘Player of the Century’.

Maradona won the poll but then FIFA changed the way in which the winner was chosen, and decided to give the prize to Pele. Maradona protested and eventually both players were presented with an award, with the Argentine claiming that his rival’s trophy was worthless.

“There would be no debate about who was the best footballer the world had ever seen — me or Pele. Everyone would say me," he insisted.

“Pele is the 'enemy of all time'.”

Beckham & Cole

Maradona also offered some forthright views on David Beckham and Ashley Cole.

“Beckham is a nice man and I’m sure he will reach 100 appearances for England. But he is just a good player, nothing more,” said Diego.

“He has a good long-range shot, but he’s not a great player — he doesn’t belong to the superior group of players.

“There are hundreds of Beckhams playing football all over the world.

"As for Cole, he needs to demonstrate he can forget girls and concentrate on football."

Robinson, McClaren & England’s Euro 2008 Failure

Maradona was critical of former England manager Steve McClaren, saying he made a big mistake in the 3-2 defeat to Croatia that cost the Three Lions qualification to Euro 2008.

“Under Steve McClaren there was a problem. He wasn’t a capable manager of the national team,” the ex-Napoli star continued.

“It was a big mistake to drop Paul Robinson for the Croatia game. Robinson would never have made the mistakes that Scott Carson did.

“Robinson is a very good goalkeeper who has had a few problems — but strikers would have thought twice about shooting at him from long range because doubt would have entered their minds.

“With Carson they thought, ‘Who is this player’? and took shots from everywhere.”

Legend Maradona won the World Cup with Argentina in 1986, while he also was instrumental in leading Napoli to the Serie A title in 1987 and 1990.

Anthony Sormani
Back to top Go down
View user profile
teee
bench warmer
bench warmer

Male Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2007-09-25

PostSubject: Re: NEWS   Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:40 pm

he later said the Sun/Ntw twisted his words- that he never actually appologised for the 'hand of god' goal.. thats the maradona I know!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ahmad193
legend
legend

PostSubject: Re: NEWS   Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:52 pm

LoL !

and long may he live Very Happy

tee.. how about that mascherano?? he ripped inter apart!

argentina have the BEST Defensive midfielder in the world.. i dont care if he doesnt score.. the guy is incredible!!!

i want another argie in the team.... hopefully sergio will come in a season or two... i remember him saying he was a big fan of pool.. do you think he's the perfect partner for torres?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
teee
bench warmer
bench warmer

Male Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2007-09-25

PostSubject: Re: NEWS   Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:36 am

hell yeah, but i fear he wont get as much fouls or sympathy from the refs as he gets in spain.. but the combination will be good between the two. Lavezzi (napoli) would be good to play with El nino, because he has good vision and often plays in a way that makes defenders commit, the question would be where would Gerrard fit in with another striker coming? he plays in the 2nd striker role at the moment, and i dont like seing Gerrard used on the left flank...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ahmad193
legend
legend

PostSubject: Re: NEWS   Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:06 am

good question.... i dont really know to be honest... unless he gets back to playing at CM alongside xabi or javier...

babel is making the left wing his own... he MUST play more games to improve and establish himself as a regular

the right wing.. well.. im not sure if we have anyone good enough there.. so maybe gerrard will fill that place, with kuyt..

that leaves us with el nino.. crouch.. and some new strikers

but like you said tee.. its gonna be interesting to see who we buy and what formation we play.

rafinha seems a SURE transfer by now...

but i dont know how good he is..

and rafa said he's getting 2 players from south america

any idea who they are?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ahmad193
legend
legend

PostSubject: Re: NEWS   Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:57 pm

The 27-year-old has been a mainstay of the Atleti lineup since his big-money move from Espanyol in 2005.

After
the departure of Fernando Torres for Liverpool, he was even appointed
as club captain. But now, if these latest rumours are anything to go
by, Javier Aguirre will again be on the lookout for a new skipper as
Rafa Benítez weighs up the prospect of a bid.

The Argentina
international can play either out wide or up front, but it is his
capability on the right wing that may see Rafa interested: this would
allow the ex-Newell's Old Boys man to occupy a key role in a 4-2-3-1.
However, his versatility is also a bonus, as he showed when
operating as a part of a three man midfield for Argentina during the
World Cup.

In what was an injury-ravaged 2006-07 season he
managed just ten Liga appearances, but this time around he's started 28
matches, making a further three substitute appearances, netting eight
times in the process.
He averages around a goal every three games, as he did at Espanyol - just the kind of contribution you need from a midfielder.

Considering
that Maxi cost the Vicente Calderón outfit €7m three seasons ago, his
price tag may have only risen since then. Something in the region of
12million is being suggested.

Steve Michaels, Goal.com
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NEWS   

Back to top Go down

NEWS
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2