Go down 
AuthorMessage
drucurl
Admin

Male Number of posts : 70
Club/s : AC Milan
Player/s : Ronaldo, Sergio Aguero, Kaka, Maldini, Seedorf, Nesta, Inzaghi
Registration date : 2007-08-22

PostSubject: Riquelme - Misunderstood Genius or Overrated Shit   Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:26 am

Ok you guys....let's hear it homer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ahmad193
legend
legend

Male Number of posts : 2010
Club/s : Liverpool
Player/s : Zidane, Gerrard, Reina, Torres, Del Piero
Registration date : 2007-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Riquelme - Misunderstood Genius or Overrated Shit   Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:03 am

Misunderstood Genius... well, genious is a bit far fetched... i wouldnt go as far as calling him a genious..

he's a B+ type player in my book ... and rarely, on special occasions.. he can reach the A- range.

he's a temporary blessing for the argies.. till they find someone who could fill his boots.

mascherano is a monster.. but he couldnt pass like requilme even if his life depended on it.

these guys have a plethora of strikers.. and no LEADERS in midfield, sans Requilme.

teeeee.. how's ur scouting career going? find any substitutes for requilme Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drucurl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Riquelme - Misunderstood Genius or Overrated Shit   Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:45 pm

ahmad193 wrote:
Misunderstood Genius... well, genious is a bit far fetched... i wouldnt go as far as calling him a genious..

he's a B+ type player in my book ... and rarely, on special occasions.. he can reach the A- range.

he's a temporary blessing for the argies.. till they find someone who could fill his boots.

mascherano is a monster.. but he couldnt pass like requilme even if his life depended on it.

these guys have a plethora of strikers.. and no LEADERS in midfield, sans Requilme.

teeeee.. how's ur scouting career going? find any substitutes for requilme Razz
I think he's a bit of both tbh.....I mean he certainly has the skills comparable in some respects and even better in others - than Kaka Messi Tevez Diego and Ronaldinho.....but his flaws are far worse than those posessed by the aforementioned. He is MUCH slower than any of those guys and FAR more moody and unevenly tempered than any of them as well.

His interviews suggest that he is a bit of a dark depressive charracter....though I can't blame him for it because they seem to be more related to his upbringing.

He does certainly have the skills, control and vision to be as good as Zidane but he's missing something that I doubt he will ever find.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
teee
bench warmer
bench warmer

Male Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2007-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Riquelme - Misunderstood Genius or Overrated Shit   Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:04 pm

i see him as a genius; to be able to perform in a 'decent' as opposed to 'good' team and excell, says it all.

Villareal were a good team, but definitely not good enough to challenge in la liga never you mind the the champions league; his performances against Inter stand out for me.. dont forget they came up from a group that had Manchester United, they qualified, Manchester UTD didnt. Diego forlan who came to Villareal more or less a reject, having failed to make an impact with Manchester United, said Riquelme's vision helped him capture his form.

and to think, riquelme came to villareal after being rejected and dismissed- without being given a proper chance to impress or even justify his purchase.. he definitely proved his worth over the 3 seasons he was at villareal.. i remember that season he played out of his skin against Barca.

In Zidane's last game for Madrid, he went over to Riquelme and gave him his shirt.. not because he simply felt sorry for him as some idiot suggested on goal.com, but it was because zidane respects riquelme and see's him as the closest player to his style- riquelme made 2 goals in the 3-3 draw against madrid that game.

i remember watching him when they played against the then mighty real madrid who had players AT THEIR PRIME, and he really, almost single handedly killed them off- Makalele couldnt touch him and we're talking about a young makalele here.

strangely, he doesnt get the credit he deserves when the team wins but always blamed when the team loses. which is rather strange because i dont see the likes of Gerrard, Kaka or even lampard get blamed when their respective teams lose.

he's a shy character to begin with, never confident facing the camera, unlike others who enhanced their profile making adverts, he never had interest in making money advertising (i seen him in an addidas advert but thats bout it), all he seems to want is to play ball.

his other problem is his lack of pace.. but guys.. think bout it, Zidane was never quick.. while some of you might think pace is a necessity, others would disagree and im one of them. Zidane plays with elegance, calmness on the ball and lets the ball do the work for him, and Riquelme has similar attributes to zidane's game, only zidane is more powerfull, better in the air, and generally the better player. but in any case, zidane make the ball do the work for him, he lets the ball do the running, and thats how riquelme plays. So while some only point out his lack of pace, they conveniently ignore another ability Riquelme has which no other player today has; the ability to control the pace of the game. Riquelme is sharp enough to understand the game and DICTATE its pace; he slows it down when he see's fit, livens it up accordingly and that is a gift that goes along with his superior vision to any other playmaker in the world today.

you couldnt just shrugg off zidane in the same way you can with Riquelme- and thats where my only criticism of riquelme is.

definitely misunderstood, the way he looks and behaves during a game is open to interpretation; mine is that he's simply a humble person and the way he walks shows it, bottom line is he has no attitude problems as other players in the game, but amazingly, they dont get criticised when they give away silly penalties or get sent off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ahmad193
legend
legend

PostSubject: Re: Riquelme - Misunderstood Genius or Overrated Shit   Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:31 pm

drucurl wrote:
He does certainly have the skills, control and vision to be as good as Zidane but he's missing something that I doubt he will ever find.

right on the nail....

he's EMO isnt he? i knew it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ahmad193
legend
legend

PostSubject: Re: Riquelme - Misunderstood Genius or Overrated Shit   Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:37 pm

some players are born with bad luck

look at baggio... undoubtedly the most gifted player italy has produced in the past 30 years...

single handedly pushed his team to the WC final in 94... and lost on PKs

instead of being celebrated.. they fucked him up so bad that he converted to buddhism

not that im against the religion or anything... but im just saying he did that as a REACTION to the shit the media/ppl in italy put him through..

requilme's "career" days are numbered.. he needs to do something magnificent, or forever be forgotten...

and teee.. youre right... his relationship with the ball is very similar to zidane's

the way he touches it... controls it... accuately passes it... they have fairly similar styles.

i think the main difference is, besides zizu being overall a better player, is that he doesnt have the winning/fight till the end mentality zizu has.

and i dont think he can find it himself.. he needs someone to help him... guide him... encourage him
Back to top Go down
View user profile
teee
bench warmer
bench warmer

PostSubject: Re: Riquelme - Misunderstood Genius or Overrated Shit   Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:01 am

i feel so bad for him.. i followed Riquelme's rise at boca and although he was ruling the show- so to speak, he was never given that chance and was not named for the 2002 squad.. by then he was already a liberatdores winner and the number 1 play maker with Boca.

the consequences were HUGEEE- Argentina, with all the talents at their disposal flopped at the group stages, obviously missing a young riquelme.

then he goes to barca, and the manager labells him 'a political signing' even before his arrival- so he wasnt given the chance to shine in his role as a playmaker, instead used as a substitute (when he gets to play that is) and always out of position.

he goes to Villareal and shows the whole world what he really is capable of doing.. 3 seasons with villareal = the best 3 seasons in their entire history. (i knw they're currently in the top 2 of La Liga, but i doubt they'll still be there come end of the season)

goes to the world cup, ends up with the tournament's highest assists, and leaves Germany a winner- when he was on the pitch Argentina didnt lose; when he was substituted against Germany his team were winning the game 1-0- Ayala's goal coming from a Riquelme corner.

falls out with Villareal, Goes to Boca in a loan spell of 4 months, in that time he single handedly took them to the final of Libratadores and won it for them (had it not been for him they would have lost the 2 legs 1-0)

Goes to Copa and takes his team to the final with his assists and goals, more or less everything was coming from Riquelme.. heck, even Heinze scored from a Riquelme freekick. The final was A HORROR SHOW; firstly Brasil committed an unprecedented amount of fouls (30) to stop Argentina's fluency and passing, in addition Ayala made some deadly mistakes and if you had to blame anybody, that person would be ayala (although his class can not be disputed or questioned)... yet after the game where did the blame go? Riquelme's way! the guy hit the post and provided passes to his team mates.. wasnt meant to be.

comes back to Villareal and Pallegrini already made up his mind that he does not want him in the team no more- whatever the reasons, one can not ignore an important point here which is the manager showing alot of gratitude for a player who was so instrumental in Villareal's successes.

man..
its frustrating to see him suffer but i guess you're right, some players are unlucky..Baggio deserved alot better in his career and i put him in my top 12 players of all time.

i like Riquelme for many reasons, as a player and as a person.. firstly because he comes from the 'zidane' brand of football which i really love, also because he seems disinterested in the media, not interested in looking at his best off the pitch, he's a family man and you wouldnt see him misbehaving, always puts things in perspective as in, he would put his family above anything else- his attributes as a person are worthy of admiration as much as what he does on pitch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drucurl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Riquelme - Misunderstood Genius or Overrated Shit   Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:23 am

But that's just it you see. Whenever any team with a superstar loses....they blame the superstar.....the whole team could be playing rubbish but it's his name they call first.
Ronaldo has been blamed for losing '98 WC, '06 WC, and for each season Real failed to win a trophy.

What makes a real superstar a real superstar is rising out of adversity. CR7 did it after he was a virtually hated man after WC 06, for getting Rooney sent off. Ronaldo Redeemed his '98 disappearing act in '02. He later went on to show Madrid that they made a mistake by playing well for Milan.

Riquelme never seems to recover from certain setbacks. I must say that being rejected from Villa and going home to lead Boca in the Copa was great. But for better or worse the Copa isn't as high a high profile tournament as the CL, WC or even the Copa America. SO we have YET to see him owning a tournament the way Ronaldo, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Zidane etc have done
Back to top Go down
View user profile
teee
bench warmer
bench warmer

PostSubject: Re: Riquelme - Misunderstood Genius or Overrated Shit   Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:50 am

Ronaldo got blamed for not being there in the final, not for his performances which had been great up until that point.

but im talking about players like Kaka, Gerrard, Ronnie, Lampard.. non of them get blamed for lack of success. Yes Ronnie got criticised for lack of form last season, but he was never blamed for the entire campaigne as Riquelme does.. and that is where the difference is. When things go wrong its Riquelme's fault, even when it had nothing to do with him; for example
Argentina's failure in the world cup? anybody with abit of common sense would see Riquelme left the world cup a winner, yet you still hear voices saying it was his fault by some bizzarre way
or copa america, it was his fault for argentina's failure?

the point im making is, criticism directed towards Riquelme tends to be more elaborated than just- going as far as saying HE was to blame for argentina losing copa?? it goes over board with Riquelme for some reason.

another point i have to say is, European fans seem to undervalue south american tournaments.. im not one of them; i see copa as a MASSIVE tournament, i see Liberatadores as the second best thing, on par with Champions league. a tournament which is difficutl to win and you get world legends unable to win it, even when they try.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drucurl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Riquelme - Misunderstood Genius or Overrated Shit   Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:42 am

teee wrote:
Ronaldo got blamed for not being there in the final, not for his performances which had been great up until that point.

but im talking about players like Kaka, Gerrard, Ronnie, Lampard.. non of them get blamed for lack of success. Yes Ronnie got criticised for lack of form last season, but he was never blamed for the entire campaigne as Riquelme does.. and that is where the difference is. When things go wrong its Riquelme's fault, even when it had nothing to do with him; for example
Argentina's failure in the world cup? anybody with abit of common sense would see Riquelme left the world cup a winner, yet you still hear voices saying it was his fault by some bizzarre way
or copa america, it was his fault for argentina's failure?

the point im making is, criticism directed towards Riquelme tends to be more elaborated than just- going as far as saying HE was to blame for argentina losing copa?? it goes over board with Riquelme for some reason.

another point i have to say is, European fans seem to undervalue south american tournaments.. im not one of them; i see copa as a MASSIVE tournament, i see Liberatadores as the second best thing, on par with Champions league. a tournament which is difficutl to win and you get world legends unable to win it, even when they try.

Well you're right about Gerrard but as for the others....they get beaten into the ground (especially ronaldinho) EVERYTIME they don't produce a world class performance...Kaka and Ronaldo get blasted by us Milan fans all the time....what isn't so common is to see Riquelme fans come out and admit Riquelme was rubbish for a particular game. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen but it's rare.

Again, NO one blames Riquelme for Argentina's exit that was No-Peckerman's Very Happy fault......the Copa America though he was rubbish and given the choice of his latest club it may well be the last big break that he gets.

The South American championships in truth should be given a higer prestige rating but I suspect that even the South American clubs don't treat them as a European club will lust over the CL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
teee
bench warmer
bench warmer

PostSubject: Re: Riquelme - Misunderstood Genius or Overrated Shit   Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:50 pm

that is not true, in south america EVERY TEAM dreams of winning liberatadores, its the most prestigious tournament there is in the entire continent.

the difference is, ronnie and kaka, if criticised, they're criticised for games played, not exit from tournaments, thats where the difference is between the two and riquelme;
ive heard people blaming riquelme for argentina's loss in copa, for argentina's exit from the world cup, for his own exit from barca and villareal. any criticism Ronnie or kaka get, they're no where near riquelme's.

you said it yourself, he didnt perform well in copa, when he was 1 of the players of the tournament, if not the player of the tournament. Without him Argentina would not have got to the final and im speaking having watched every game argentina played in the tournament!! so of course, the criticism of players seem to melt down in riquelme's pot more often than not, which is quite strange as he seems to be targetted, pin pointed out of the rest for blame.

How can you blame Riquelme for argentina's exit from the world cup, when he never lost a game while on the pitch?? when he was had the tournaments highest assists? yet he still got blamed. madness
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riverplate
new signing
new signing

Male Number of posts : 3
Club/s : River Plate
Player/s : Mascherano, Dalessandro, Crespo
Registration date : 2008-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Riquelme - Misunderstood Genius or Overrated Shit   Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:19 pm

Probably the best skills in reduces spaces Ive ever seen,,and really good shooting skills....but waay too slow for playing in important leagues
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.riverplate.com
ahmad193
legend
legend

PostSubject: Re: Riquelme - Misunderstood Genius or Overrated Shit   Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:22 pm

how is he doing at the moment? do you watch him play?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patlmn
bench warmer
bench warmer

Male Number of posts : 275
Club/s : Manchester United
Player/s : Ruud van Nistlerooy, Wayne Rooney, Nemanja Vidic
Registration date : 2007-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Riquelme - Misunderstood Genius or Overrated Shit   Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:37 am

riverplate wrote:
Probably the best skills in reduces spaces Ive ever seen,,and really good shooting skills....but waay too slow for playing in important leagues

He did quite well in spain a a years ago
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patlmn
bench warmer
bench warmer

Male Number of posts : 275
Club/s : Manchester United
Player/s : Ruud van Nistlerooy, Wayne Rooney, Nemanja Vidic
Registration date : 2007-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Riquelme - Misunderstood Genius or Overrated Shit   Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:37 am

Preceding post was suppposed to be

He did quite well in spain a few years ago.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
teee
bench warmer
bench warmer

PostSubject: Re: Riquelme - Misunderstood Genius or Overrated Shit   Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:59 pm

he's a dying bread of playmakers who don't depend on pace to make things happen. Last one i could think off is colombia's Valderrama
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Riquelme - Misunderstood Genius or Overrated Shit   

Back to top Go down

Riquelme - Misunderstood Genius or Overrated Shit
Page 1 of 1